Go Back   Forums > Blogs > dave u
Register Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

Lakeside, Pocklington, East Yorkshire (July 10)

Posted 07-30-2010 at 12:27 PM by dave u

This is a lovely place to fish. Very picturesque lake, extremely well kept pegs with plenty of room and soft ground to get umbrella's, bank sticks etc in, and some big fish to target.

I fished here one evening whilst on a camping holiday in Pocklington. We got there just after 4 o'clock, meaning we only had to pay a fiver. It was raining, and I broke my rod rest whilst setting up. Things got worse when I made my first cast and the end section of my rod snapped in two! It had obviously cracked when I was packing it in the car, and I was devastated as this was my favourite rod. Not a good start, but things could only get better, right? Wrong.

I started off using the maggot feeder, whilst my brother in law opted for the waggler with sweetcorn on the hook. I managed a few skimmers and roach before switching to pellet to try and target some of the bigger fish and hopefully nab a big tench or carp in the margins.

My brother in law had only managed a couple of small roach, and we were getting close to the 9pm closing time. Then he struck into something big only for his line to snap almost immediately. He had a 5lb hooklength and it snapped at the barrel.

I was having no luck in the margin swim I'd baited next to some reeds, but I didn't see the point of switching now so stuck it out til the end. Five minutes before I was due to pack up, the rod tip swung round and I felt the weight of what was almost certainly a double figure carp. It made it's way into the reeds and I couldn't get it out, within about 15 seconds it had snapped my line too.

We made our way home disappointed, and I was left to mourn the death of my favourite feeder rod and contemplate yet another one that had got away.

Lovely place though, and I'd love to go back there one day.

The campsite is very reasonably priced, but no under 16s are allowed on the site either to fish or to camp. Payment is made before fishing, by putting money into an envelope and into a box in the hut in the car park.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 48560 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments